Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Bridge Moment

Zach Schuette enjoys swinging on one of the supports that make up the Sundial Bridge in Redding, CA. The bridge is a place to explore and be a kid.

I feel very fortunate to live where people vacation. Not that I will live anywhere else in the near future but if I do, Redding has taught me that I always want to live where people vacation.

Vacation in Redding? Yes! Maybe it was the commercial on cable channel 8 (that I have actually watched all the way through) but within an hour from Redding there are a multitude of different types of recreational experiences. From skiing in Mt. Shasta to hiking at Lassen Park. From night kayaking at Whiskeytown Lake by moonlight to enjoying a walk across the Sundial Bridge, I do live in a place that people vacation. I love what this area has to offer.

I love the fact the McConnell foundation brought to town a bridge that has gained world class status. Obviously I love it, I have a whole section dedicated to it on my website. I enjoy the bridge because it brings people outside (the way I hope downtown will do some day). The Sundial Bridge is a place where you hear multiple languages, you see people from all over the state, nation and world. People taking photos, laughing, running and just out having fun.

I picked this photo for my blog because it shows the bridge being interactive. It shows a boy's wonder and exploration. It shows kids having fun. Look beyond the boy hanging from the support and notice to others in the background. They are all exploring; the way kids do. They are having fun.

If you haven't been out to the bridge in a while go. Take a camera and be a kid.

Technically Speaking:
This was shot with a Nikon D300 and a 17-55/2.8 lens on the camera. I had the ISO set to 200. The aperture was f/9.0 and the shutter speed was 1/800th of a second. I used natural lighting, taking advantage of the great light shining on Zach's face. The focal length of the lens was 17mm.

1 comment:

~ Kerri ~ said...

What a cute kid. I believe he accepts ice cream as royalties. ;-) You may contact his agent (who prefers pumpkin spice lattes) for details.

Love your blog.